About The Pub
One of the city’s premier real ale establishments offering a selection of up to 32 ales, gravity served from our glass fronted tap room and on hand pump. Our customers say we are a friendly and welcoming community pub with many nooks and crannies. The pub garden started off as a car park and was in a dilapidated state until Kay Edwards decided to give it a major makeover in 2013. The garden was walled and a cart shed was built to house the annual August beer festival. More tables, an abundance of plants and a covered smoking area continue to generate many compliments from customers.
In 1931, the building was a corner shop called the Waterloo Stores with a bakery and alcohol licence. In 1937, the premises became the Iron Duke and the first licensee was Harry Burgess. The pub was originally one of over 30 pubs owned by Lacons and in 1965, Whitbread became the new owners. Ownership then passed to Adnams and later became a freehouse. In 2002 its name had changed to the Duke of Wellington.
Owned since 2001 by John and Kay Edwards they both also own Wolf Brewery which is also a family run business. The pub is currently managed by Chris and Ezme Isgate, they have a extensive range of Wolf products always available.
The building has an interesting history and features a red-brick, Second World War Air Raid Shelter, visible through a sheet of glass laid into the floor
You can find us in the Camra Good Beer Guide.